Monday 25 March 2013

Turkish "Casserole"

So, I had to get an emergency dentist appointment today. I have really crappy teeth and this particular one at the back was SUPPOSED to have been sorted last year with a root canal, turns out that I wasn't paranoid, the last dentist was actually really bad and not only have both fillings at the back fallen out (because I told her I grind and clench my teeth when I sleep, and she didn't listen) but neither root canal has been done properly. So now I have an infected tooth which will have to be pulled, and the pain of another root canal to go through! Grrr!
Now I'm on antibiotics and won't be able to get drunk on cocktails at my birthday/Easter party! I have been promised chocolate instead :)

As if that wasn't keeping me busy enough, Onur has been poorly since Saturday morning, where he just suddenly threw up all over his breakfast. Saturday he was sick every half an hour, yesterday he'd stopped and ate some toast and a banana, this morning he threw up on his breakfast again :(
He has managed to keep toast and some fruit down though today, even though he has the squits really bad now!!
Kaya is a cheeky little sausage as usual, it was hilarious as when he saw Onur being sick he said "Euurgh Onur, that's disgusting, why you do that?" - ah the wisdom and humour of a two year old!

With all this going on, you could be forgiven for thinking that I'd put the business on the back burner - NEVAH! :D In fact I will shortly be indulging in a conference call with the ladies in my "Baby Brain Group" and our mentor Victoria, to answer some questions about getting started!

But I wanted to give you all a recipe first!! This Turkish "Casserole" is my go to recipe when I haven't got much time but want a delicious nutritious meal for the family. It's SO easy.
You will need:

1 pack of chicken thighs/drumsticks
About 500g-1kg of potatoes, depending on how many are eating
2 onions
2 cloves of garlic
A tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsps of tomato paste
Herbs and spices to taste, I usually use oregano, thyme, rosemary, paprika and salt/pepper

OK. So grab a casserole dish, or lasagne dish or whatever. Preheat your oven to 180c. Pierce each piece of chicken with a knife, and arrange in the dish (you may need to use two dishes if you're cooking for more than 3-4)
Peel the potatoes and cut them in half lengthways, add these to the dish. Peel and quarter the onions, add these too. Peel the garlic cloves and add these whole. Next, boil your kettle. Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste into a measuring jug, then once the kettle is boiled add water to make it up to 1.5 litres. Season with your chosen herbs and spices, and the salt and pepper. Taste it to make sure it's well seasoned, then pour over the chicken and potatoes. Whack it in the oven for about 1 and a half to 2 hours, depending on your oven. You'll know it's done when the chicken looks nice and bronzed on top and falls off the bone when poked.
I usually serve with some rice - I shall share my Turkish rice recipe soon! And that's it, folks, it really is that easy!

Have a great evening!

PS - Once again, I will ask you very nicely to leave a comment and share if you like what you see! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment